By Executive Chef Pierre Schaedelin
- 2 ¼ lbs pumpkin
- 1 onion
- 2 cups
low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup whipping
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Discard the pumpkin seeds and fibers. Peel the
pumpkin with a large knife and discard the skin. Cut the pulp into small
2. Peel the onion and cut it into thin strips. Trim the
leeks and outer leaves of the leek, and cut off the hard green parts. Wash the
leek and slice it into thin strips.
3. Heat the olive oil in a round Le Creuset pot (essentially an oval Dutch Oven.) Add 4
teaspoons butter. Add the onion and leek and cook over gentle heat for 3 minutes.
4. Add the pieces of pumpkin to the pot, then the
chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cover the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Purée the contents of the pot in a food processor.
Return to heat and whisk in the rest of the butter. Check the seasoning.
6. Whip the cream and whisk it into the soup just before
Address: 60 W 55th St., between 5th Ave. & Ave. of the Americas
Phone: (646) 943-7373