By Pastry Chef Stephen Collucci
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Whisk molasses, egg, and sugar together in a bowl. Add oil and mix to combine.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and slowly add to the wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until thoroughly combined.
4. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake 30 minutes.
5. Slice and serve with creme fraiche ice cream or spread with cream cheese.
6. The batter can also be poured into a greased muffin tin and baked for 15-20 minutes.
Creme Fraiche Ice Cream
(Makes 1/2 gallon)
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 pint milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 7 oz. sugar
- 12 oz. creme fraiche
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a large pot, bring the milk, cream and half of the sugar to a boil.
2. Whisk egg yolks and remaining sugar together in a separate bowl until the sugar dissolved.
3. Carefully pour the hot milk mixture into the yolk mixture, constantly whisking to prevent curdling. Pour back into the pot and cook over low heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
4. Whisk in the creme fraiche and the salt.
5. Immediately strain into a bowl in an ice bath and stir frequently to cool.
6. Chill in the refrigerator. When ready, pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions.
7. Once desired consistency is reached, cover and freeze until ready to serve.
Colicchio & Sons
Address: 85 Tenth Ave., btwn 15th & 16th Sts.