By Executive Chef Oscar Santana
- 2 1/2 pound of skirt steak
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sliced carrot
- 2 white onions cut in stripe
- 1 table spoon of dry oregano
- 1 medium red pepper sliced fine
- 1/2 cup of green olives pitted
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 table spoon of olive oil
- 2 cups of red wine
- 1 tea spoon of ground cumin
- salt and pepper
1) Place the meat, bay leaves, carrot, 1 onion and oregano in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Let the meat cook for 1½ hours, until soft. Drain the meat out of the pan, cut it into smaller pieces and shred it with your fingers.
2) Cook the remaining onion, bell peppers and garlic in olive oil, then add red wine to deglaze the pan. Follow with the tomatoes and cumin and cook for 15 minutes.
3) Add the shredded meat and cook for 30 min. Season it with pepper and salt and serve it with white rice.
Address: 543 LaGuardia Place, btwn. Bleecker & West 3rd Sts.