(From The Red Cat Cookbook, chef and owner of The Red Cat and The Harrison)
- 1 1/2 lbs. Italian Fontina, soft, brown rind trimmed and discarded, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced country bread or rolls
Preheat the broiler. For individual servings, divide the Fontina among four 6-inch cast-iron pans. Drizzle olive oil and scatter the garlic, thyme and rosemary over the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. For one large pan, use a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and follow the same directions.
Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 6-7 minutes.
Serve each person an individual pan, setting it on a trivet or napkin, or serve the 12-inch pan from the center of the table. Pass the bread alongside for dunking.