By Executive Chef Bill Peet
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 small pumpkin, cleaned of skin and seeds, sliced, approx. 5 cups
- 6 oz butter
- 1 medium garlic clove, smashed
- 1 medium white turnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 small, thin Baguette (French Bread), crust removed and cut into ½ inch cubes, approximately 3 cups
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1) In a large saucepot over a medium heat, melt half the butter and sauté the onions and garlic until they are transparent.
2) Add the turnip, carrot, potato, pumpkin meat and stock, season lightly with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
3) At the same time, sauté the croutons in the remaining butter over medium heat until they are golden brown.
4) Reserve approximately 30 croutons on the side as a garnish for the soup.
5) Add the remaining croutons to the soup and simmer for about 1 hour, they will break up and add a deeper flavor.
6) Purée the soup and add the heavy cream, bring back to a boil, adjust the seasoning.
7) Serve in warm bowls or small hollowed out pumpkins with the reserved croutons floating in the center of each.
Address: 160 W. 46th St., nr. Third Ave.