As I basked in one of summer’s simplest pleasures – Carvel’s soft serve vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles while staring into a store freezer filled with Fudgie The Whale cakes – I realized we sometimes forget the edible warhorses that have transcended the very notion of food fads. And before I descend into the chaos that is the Fancy Food Show at the Jacob Javits Center to uncover the latest fashions, I thought it only appropriate to honor the classics and reflect on summer’s greatest hits:
1) Carvel’s Vanilla Soft Serve Ice Cream – Top it with rainbow sprinkles or those divinely addictive chocolate crunchies, even the most devout chocolate snobs are hard-pressed to turn their nose up at this custardy creation.
2) The Lobster Roll – While it’s become a somewhat controversial
of late, no one can claim ownership over the mayonaissey splendor of a
doughy roll cradling plump chunks of lobster meat, diced celery and
yes, lots of mayonnaise.
3) Strawberry Shortcake – A foolproof dessert for even the most
pastry-challenged, simply slice strawberries, add whipped cream and
sandwich between a biscuit or two slices of white cake. This dessert
was so beloved that American Greetings built an entire line of Strawberry Shortcake dolls. If you’ve moved beyond packaged shortcake, this is a great old-fashioned shortcake recipe.
4) Hebrew National Hot Dogs – They’re snappy, juicy, 100% beef and an absolute rite of passage for any baseball fan.
5) Corn On The Cob – One of nature’s most brilliant inventions remains
happily brandless. Simply coat in butter, parmesan cheese or paprika
and you’re good to go.
6) Lemonade – Ideally fresh-squeezed, it’s a wonder how refreshing lemons, sugar & water can taste.
7) The Fudgsicle – After sampling the newer versions, I still stand by the tried-and-true original.
8) Iced tea – Sweetened, unsweetened, herbal, a wedge of lemon; whatever you fancy, it’s practically synonymous with summer.
9) Soft Pretzels – Despite all the wickedly fanciful dishes I’ve sampled, I still delight in a warm salt-studded pretzel. My personal pick, Philly’s, but a little mustard or ketchup and any kind will do.
10) The Chipwich – A chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich rolled in chocolate chips…does life get better than this? I think not.
Stay with us for continuing coverage of the Fancy Food Show…
Until we eat again,
**Don’t forget to subscribe for Restaurant Girl’s Weekly Newsletter**