By Brian Ellis
(Serves 4 as an appetizer)
For the Salad:
- ½ lb haricot verts (blanched and shocked)
- 1 bunch frisee lettuce (washed, large stems removed)
- 2 oz. slivered almonds (dry roasted)
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes (washed and split in ½)
Preparation for the Salad:
Blanche the haricot verts in boiling water for about three minutes then shock in ice water. Drain on paper towels and reserve. Wash frisee, remove any large stems, and chop into bite-size pieces. Wash cherry tomatories and slice each in half. Then, in hot dry pan, toast slivered almonds until aromatic, about two minutes.
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 oz. red wine vinegar (something good)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 clove garlic (smashed and chopped fine)
- 6 oz. extra virgin olive oil
Preparation for the dressing:
Finely mince the garlic. Add the juice of one lemon, mustard and red wine vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Taste and season with salt and cracked black pepper.
Address: 55 Third Ave., nr. 11th St.