Wallse’s Halibut with Cucumber, Dill, & Chanterelles
By Executive Chef & Owner Kurt Gutenbrunner
- 4 Filets of Halibut
- 2 Onions
- 1 Bunch Dill, Washed and Stems Removed
- 1 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Cucumbers
- 1 lb. Chanterelles
- 3 T. Shallots, finely chopped
- 2 T. Thyme, finely chopped
- Canola Oil for cooking
- Wondra Flour for cooking
- 2 T. Butter
- 1 Lemon, Juiced
1. Preheat oven to 375. Coarsely chop Onions, place into a
shallow baking dish, brush with Canola oil, and cover with foil. Bake
until Onions are soft,
approximately 30 minutes. Cool and puree the onion using a blender. Reserve the Onion Puree until ready to use.
2. Blend Olive Oil and Dill until smooth. Chill the Dill Oil until ready to
3. Seed and dice 1 Cucumber (Save the seeds and do not peel). Reserve until ready to use.
Peel and coarsely chop the remaining Cucumber. Blend this Cucumber,
along with the saved seeds, until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve
cheesecloth. Reserve the Cucumber Water until ready to use.
5. Slice Chanterelles. Heat a sauté pan and add Canola Oil. When pan is hot
add Chanterelles. Sauté until most of the liquid had evaporated. Add 1T.
Shallots, 1T. Thyme, Salt and Pepper. Toss and reserve.
Combine diced Cucumber, 8 T. Cucumber water, 8 T. Onion Puree, Salt and
Pepper in a small sauce pan. (Overly season the cucumbers)
an ovenproof sauté pan and add 2 T. Olive Oil. Season the Halibut and
sprinkle with Wondra. Place Halibut in pan. When it is golden brown,
turn and place into oven for 3 – 4 minutes.
8. While the Halibut is in the oven, heat the Cucumber mixture. Once it is
heated, add 4 T. of the Dill Oil and Lemon Juice to taste. Add Salt and Pepper if necessary. Reheat the Chanterelles.
9. Remove the Halibut from the oven and return it to the stove. Baste the
Halibut with Butter, 2 T. Shallots, and 1 T. Thyme.
10. Divide Cucumbers among 4 warm bowls. Place Filets atop of the cucumbers, and top with Chanterelles.
Photo Credit: Maike Paul
Address: 344 West 11St., at Washington St.
Until we eat again,
**Don’t forget to subscribe for Restaurant Girl’s Weekly Newsletter**